The Windows 10 May 2020 update is on its way to all the PCs equipped with Microsoft’s latest operating system. New features and enhancements are included, and we might as well count the days we have until then.
Windows 10 is five years old already, and it seems like yesterday when everybody was eager and excited to see what it can do for its users. A lot of people are speculating online that Microsoft will bring a successor for Windows 10 in the upcoming years, but it should have happened until now.
Instead, the tech behemoth headquartered in Redmond (Washington) is regularly updating Windows 10. This is a strong hint that Microsoft may stick to this operating system for a long time, deciding to permanently make it better rather than bringing a brand new operating system.
Novelties in the Windows 10 May 2020 update
If you’re in love with Cortana, then we have bad news for you. Microsoft’s virtual assistant app gets seriously neglected. Also known as Windows 10 May 2020 update will remove Cortana’s deep integration into the operating system. The popular Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) also has plenty to take advantage of the development cycle for this update with a list of about 120 bug fixes and enhancements.
We can mention the release of the second version of WSL, an updated Linux kernel, Docker Desktop support, ARM64 support on devices that support virtualization, battery AC adapter passthrough, and new WSL commands. You can take a look at all of the changes between WSL1 and WSL2 at the Microsoft Docs website portal for WSL.
Let’s see what other new stuff will the update bring for Windows 10:
- Windows Hello PIN becomes available to log into a device via Safe Mode.
- Ability to connect IP based cameras for Windows 10 devices.
- Improves disk usage for Windows Search Indexer, and it includes a new File Explorer search experience.
- Adds GPU temperature tracking via Task Manager.
- Calendar items can now be put from the calendar flyout on the Taskbar.
- Faster access to Notifications Settings from the Action Center notification toast.
- Improved the Bluetooth pairing using Action Center notifications.
- Option to provide names for Virtual Desktops which will remain persistent even after the device restarts.
- Improves tablet experience on 2-in-1 PCs and increases the spacing between touch targets.
- Dictation expanded for including 12 new languages: English (Canada), English (UK), English (Australia), English (India), French (France), French (Canada), German (Germany), Italian (Italy), Spanish (Spain), Spanish (Mexico), Portuguese (Brazil), and Chinese (Simplified, China).
With Windows 10 May 2020 update arriving fast and surely, Microsoft’s latest operating system will become better than ever.